The following are some ways that you can help others in our community during the COVID-19 pandemic:
* Highlands Community Ministries has a growing need for personal hygiene items: bar soap, shampoo, toilet paper, toothpaste and toothbrushes, deodorant, and laundry detergent. Items can be dropped off at the HCM food pantry at 1228 East Breckenridge Street, Wednesday-Friday, 10:00 a.m.-1:00 p.m. Please wear a mask.
* La Casita currently has a well-stocked and safe food pantry give-away program thanks to so many generous donations and much community support. However, they currently need size 6 diapers, Kroger gift cards for medication purchases, and face masks, which can certainly be homemade. If you would like to donate any of these items, please text Crystal Bryson at 304-884-5342. She will arrange for someone to pick-up the donations from your front porch. http://www.lacasitacenter.org/
* Contribute to the Emergency Relief Fund for Families in Crisis due to COVID-19, distributed by the Association of Community Ministries at https://www.facebook.com/donate/213762309995777/3066370830063073.
* Donate to or volunteer at Dare to Care. Dare to Care is providing extra services due to the COVID-19 pandemic. Visit https://daretocare.org or call 502-966-3821.
* There is a severe shortage of blood donations. To find a donation center near you, visit the Red Cross website here and type in your zip code.
* Call Mayor Fischer at 502-574-2003 and ask him to use his leverage to release those people who are in jail awaiting trial because they could not afford bail. Because the jail is overcrowded and inmates cannot practice social distancing, the pandemic can spread rapidly in the jail.
* Be in touch with neighbors and friends at church who are most vulnerable to the virus to see if you can make a grocery or drug store run for them.