What: Repair Affair, a one-day blitz of hundreds of Louisville homes in need of repair owned by low income homeowners who are elderly or disabled
When: Saturday, June 14, beginning at 8:30 a.m. and finishing in the early afternoon
Who: YOU, and other volunteers from Highland, joining with over 1200 other volunteers from around the city!
Where: In our beloved Shelby Park neighborhood at 627 East Oak Street, 40203. We’ll be doing a variety of tasks that include yardwork, painting, carpentry, and exterior cleanup. Please
How: Please let Emily know ASAP if you haven’t already and would like to attend! Cost is FREE, lunch is provided!
Other details you need to know for Saturday:
- The home we will be working on has also just been selected in the Preservation Louisville’s “Save Our Shotguns” program, and folks from Preservation Louisville will join us on Saturday!
- The projects we will seek to complete are as follows: scraping/caulking/repainting the exterior trim of her home; yard work; repair of interior drywall, exterior doors and windows, and exterior fence; and general handy work around the house.
- Please wear closed-toed shoes and cool clothing that you don’t mind getting dirty.
- Please bring with you sunscreen, bugspray, a hat to block the sun,
- Each volunteer will be provided with tools, water and a reusable water bottle, restroom access, breaks, and lunch.
- If you have the following items around your house and are willing to share them for the day, please label them with your name (if applicable) and bring them along to help: work gloves, protective eyewear, yard tools, a rechargeable drilldriver (battery-operated screwdriver), and caulk guns.
- If you are interested in going to a ‘pep rally’ of sorts with all other participants from around Louisville in Repair Affair, you will meet in the parking lot of New Directions Housing (1000 East Liberty) at 7:30 a.m. for free breakfast, coffee, t-shirts, and a chance to interact with featured speakers. If you’d prefer to start your morning at our work site, please come straight to 627 East Oak St. at 8:30 a.m. and park on the street.
Thanks, and see you Saturday!
Sponsored by Highland’s Community Missions Ministry Group